July 19, 2010

Wheaton woman with broken hands accuses Montgomery County police

A 65 year old Wheaton woman is raising strong allegations against the Montgomery County police for excessive force, police brutality and unlawful entry. Her hand is bandaged and in a cast. The seamstress says Montgomery County Police roughed her up in her own home.

"This guy grabbed my arm and was doing like this. Twisting it like this. I said stop you'll break my arm," said 65 year old Piera Tundo as she recounts the night she says an officer police broke her hand.

"I never done anything wrong all the years I came from Italy. I never get in trouble to nobody. They come in and treat like a criminal," said Tundo.

"She's fragile. She's never hurt a fly. She never got a ticket. Why are you guys attacking her. It was nerve wracking and it was very scary. Police brutality. Plain and simple," said her son Salvador Rivas.

Rivas says it all started as officers went to their home to serve him with a bench warrant after he failed to show up for court for a misdemeanor offense. At first, officers in plain clothes allegedly showed up at their door posing as yard workers.

"She answered the door. Some older male and he told her do you need anyone to cut your grass and she said no. He left," said Rivas.

Minutes later her son says he saw more people dressed in dark clothing at the door. This time according to him, they pushed their way inside the home. Montgomery county police want transparency in such cases and a spokesman says Chief Charles Manger takes all brutality complaints very seriously. The department already started looking into the complaint even before it was officially filed.

The family says officers never identified themselves and did not produce a warrant until hours later. They thought it was a home invasion.

"In the corner of my eye, I see people running to the door with regular clothes and no uniform. They knock on door. I open it. They barge inside the house. Turn me around and put handcuffs on me," recalls Rivas.

The woman has worked as a seamstress for 40 plus years and was in her sewing room when she heard the ruckus. Moments later the 5 foot 2 inches woman says she was grabbed by a 6 foot tall officer, twice her size, without warning.

"They weren’t talking just grabbed my arm like animal and they twist and twist. I say stop you'll break my arm. I'm diabetic and old person and you break my bones," said Tundo.

"She doesn’t deserve it. If you coming for me, pull me outside. Be professional take me. Bring her outside. Let her know what's going on. No! It was like a crazy movie,” said Rivas

Now Tundo has a broken hand and will likely be in a cast for weeks. She is terrified.

"You can't trust nobody. I feel so upset. I don't deserve this. I always was a good person all my life. I don't know how I’m going to live. I can't work for a while. I don't know what to do,” said Tundo.

The family says they tried to file a complaint at a police station, but were only given a flyer and told to mail in their complaint. Montgomery county police say anyone with a complaint can file it at any police station. If you believe an officer is acting improperly, you can ask to have a supervisor sent to the scene at the time of the incident. SOURCE: FOX DC

No comments: