September 23, 2010

Bruce Stern concedes Maryland's Eighth to Mike Phillips

Rockville, Maryland (September 23, 2010): Bruce Stern, a Republican candidate for the United States House of Representatives' seat representing Maryland's Eighth Congressional District, today conceded the primary election to Michael Lee Philips. After absentee and provisional ballots were counted, Stern trailed Philips by 51 votes, a margin of less than .4% of all ballots cast. Philips received 4,716 votes in the primary, or 32.09% of all votes cast, and Stern received 4,665 votes, or 31.75% of all votes cast.

Mr. Stern stated: "I want to thank everyone who supported me throughout this primary election. This has been a fantastic experience and it has given me the opportunity to meet thousands of residents in the Eighth Congressional District who have shared with me their dreams, concerns and ideas on how to better this country. I am humbled and honored by the support I have received and by how close my supporters made this race. I also want to thank my wife, Nicole, and three children, Jordan, Julia and Jamie, who tolerated my absence and distraction over the last six months, endured long hours of canvassing neighborhoods with me on hot, summer days and who were, and remain, my biggest supporters."

Mr. Stern further stated: "I wish Mike Philips the best in his race against Chris Van Hollen and congratulate him on his successful campaign. I also want to congratulate my other primary challengers, Christine Thron and Bill Thomas, for two very well run races and their commitment to make America a better place for us all and to bring real change to Congress."

No comments: