August 1, 2010

Letter to Jim Shalleck on Maryland Republican leadership

Jim,

It is with great respect and political pain that I share this open letter to you with Republicans in Maryland. Perhaps there is no better way to begin this than for me to make it clear that I have abundant respect for you and your leadership within Montgomery County Republican political circles. At all times when we have spoken, I have felt trust in you in what we have shared. This is of particular importance because it is difficult for any person to grow in standing in our weak Party. Often volunteer Party jobs, like yours, only provide a demonstration of "turf and title," which someone of your tenure has repeatedly witnessed.

During this election cycle, I made a decision to run for an office, unsure initially of which position was the right fit for me. After considering a few political positions, I began seriously considering challenging Rep. Chris van Hollen for the District 8 seat that was formerly held for 16 years by Republican Congressman Connie Morella. That is when I respectfully contacted you because of your job as the Republican nominating chairman for positions in Montgomery County.

Thankfully, you have a clear understanding of the subtle importance of being a nominating chairman, which became evident as we spoke over the next few months. At the time, there was no other person rumored to want to challenge Van Hollen since Steve Hudson (the 2008 GOP primary winner) had relocated to Virginia. In passing, you also mentioned that Bruce Stern could seek the seat again, though he initially indicated to you that he was undecided about it. Almost as an aside, you told me that you would speak with Stern about his future, though at the time you doubted that he had any interest in the job.

Moving forward, I made contact with the NRCC and had a meeting with Congressman Jack Kingston during a trip to Savannah. Only days later, I received a surprise phone call from Congressman Lynn Westmoreland (a member of the NRCC nominating committee) when I was at Sundance, promoting my movie The Blue Dress, a comedy about President Bill Clinton, starring Paula Jones. Consequently, it was clear to me that I had national support for a run for the District 8 seat.

Upon returning from my trip we spoke again and you told me that Stern had made a decision to run, which draws me to a critical point in this letter. Loyal to you, I had always delayed making any official decision until I knew if I had your political blessing, since you were the Montgomery County nominating chairman. Not long after that, I spoke with you again and learned that Stern decided to enter, leading the way to our talk about the open Republican seat for Montgomery County Executive. It is then, with your blessing, that I entered the Montgomery County Executive race against Ike Leggett. (In fact, I even welcomed Bruce Stern into the congressional race with a press release!)

To an outsider, our respectful conversation may seem like small talk, but actually it is the work of your superb leadership, Jim! All it took was a few phone calls between Republicans and we achieved a peaceful September in Montgomery County. Such is your work as an excellent nominating chairman, especially in how you encouraged me to run for Montgomery County Executive!

I only wish the leadership of the Republican Party followed your perfect example when you considered a run against Doug Gansler for attorney general. Why didn't our "leadership" make a few phone calls on your behalf? Why didn't someone pave the way for you, as you did for me?

You would have been an excellent attorney general, Jim, and would make a fine new chairman for out Party, too (be in Montgomery County or the Maryland GOP). In a State which is the weakest State in America (along with Hawaii) for electing statewide Republicans, you are a man of leadership and vision. Sadly, I am disgusted in how you were treated by Republicans this past week. Unfortunately, I also know how it feels to receive a flank attack from my own Party. At least in November, you can count on one write-in vote from one loyal Republican who has immeasurable respect for you. And with Bruce Stern's vote, that gives you two write-in votes from Maryland's largest county! I only hope other Republicans see how no other lawyer in Maryland has your leadership and integrity to put service above self and lead by example!

Daniel Vovak,
Candidate for Montgomery County Executive

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dan-
I think the R Party should sponsor a write in campaign for Mr. Shalleck as Attorney General. People of the State should have a rally point to oppose Doug Gansler's selfcentered, abusive and politically motivated tenure as attorney general. The State Attorney General is the peoples guarantee that the laws of the state will be followed by all. Doug has shown he will ignore and abuse laws for his own gain.

The State R Party Central Committee made a mistake it can now rectify in an exciting way- sponsoring a write-in campaign for Mr. Shalleck as Attorney General.

Let the people VOTE!

Larry Lauer, R Central Committee Candidate Dist. 14