A major storm has caused widespread power outages. About 164,000 Montgomery County customers remain without power. The latest update on conditions include:
Water Restrictions: * Mandatory water restrictions remain in effect for all Montgomery County and Prince Georges County residents on public water systems until water supplies are recharged. This includes Rockville residents.
* Residents and businesses are urged to use water only for essential indoor uses so sufficient water will be available for hospitals, emergency services and fire fighting.
* Residents on private wells are unaffected by the mandatory water restrictions.
Water customers should: *Stop all outside water use – no watering lawns, no washing cars, no topping off swimming pools
*Use water only as necessary – i.e., shorter showers and turn off faucets after washing hands
*Limit toilet flushings (do not flush after every use)
*Limit washing machine and dishwasher use (wash full loads only)
Traffic: * About 225 traffic signals remain without power and 90 streets remain blocked by downed wires and trees.
* Police officers are directing traffic at 60 intersections and the County’s Department of Transportation has erected temporary stop signs at some others.
* Many additional intersections without power have no officers or stop signs. It is essential that drivers exercise extreme caution and treat all intersections without power as a four-way stop.
Ride On: * Expect some delays on Ride On due to blocked streets and signal outages. Five routes have detours. Check Ride On’s website at www.rideonbus.com for more information.
Recreation: * The Western County, Germantown Indoor and Outdoor, Upper County, and Olney Swim Centers are open.
* Damascus and Lawton Recreation Centers are now open, in addition to the Upper County Neighborhood, Germantown, East County Neighborhood and Marilyn J. Praisner Community Recreation Centers All other Montgomery County Recreation facilities are closed today.
* All other Recreation sites are closed, including the main administrative office.
* All summer camps, summer fun centers and Recreation summer classes are cancelled for today.
Libraries: * Closed all day: Little Falls, Wheaton, Kensington Park, Aspen Hill, Davis, Potomac, and Silver Spring
* Open: Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Damascus, Germantown, Long Branch, Olney, Poolesville, Praisner, Quince Orchard, Rockville, Wheaton, and White Oak.
* All of the branches will close at 8 p.m. this evening.
Shelters: * Three shelters are open: Richard Montgomery High School, 250 Richard Montgomery Drive, Rockville; Seneca Valley High School, 19401 Crystal Rock Drive, Germantown; and the East County Recreation Center located at 3310 Gateshead Manor Way, Silver Spring.
* Individuals planning to go to a shelter should bring all medications and personal supplies with them. Pets are not permitted at shelters except for service animals.
* Residents cannot bring pets to the shelter. Residents are urged not to leave their pets alone at home. Instead, call Montgomery County Animal Services at 240-773-5900 to make arrangements for pet care.
Parks: * The following Montgomery Parks facilities are open and Parks classes and programs in these facilities are running on schedule: Cabin John Ice, South Germantown Splash Park and Miniature Golf, and the Tennis and More and Week in the Park summer camps at Wheaton Regional Park.
* Crews are working to restore power to all Parks facilities affected by the outages. To find out if a facility is open, Parks patrons should call the facility in advance to confirm operating hours. Visit www.MontgomeryParks.org for a facility directory and updated information.
Montgomery College: * Montgomery College Rockville campus will be closed today. Takoma Park and Germantown campuses will be open.
Other County Facilities: * Montgomery County Department of Finance Treasury office located at 255 Hungerford Drive is closed.
* Montgomery County’s Permitting Services will be closed to the public.
* The Occupational Medical Service unit is closed and all appointments are cancelled and will be rescheduled at a later date.
Report Power Outages and Downed Trees: * To report power outages, call Pepco at 1-877-737-2662, , Allegheny Power at 1-800-255-3443 or Baltimore Gas and Electric at 1-877-778-2222.
* To report “hot” wires or sparking wires, especially those across roadways, call 9-1-1.
* To report downed trees in the public right-of-way, call 3-1-1 from within Montgomery County or if Montgomery County residents are outside the County, call 240-777-0311.
Check www.montgomerycountymd.gov for updated information on Montgomery County facilities, services, and programs.