March 29, 2011

Miller Tosses First Northwest No-Hitter Since 2001

Before Stephanie Miller could focus on beating Bethesda-Chevy Chase, the Northwest sophomore had to defeat self doubt.

Making her first start in the circle this season, Miller hurled six consecutive balls to start the bottom of the first inning against B-CC and walked the first two Baron batters.

“I was just really nervous,” she said after Monday’s game. “I was like, ‘I can’t let myself get down.’ It was a battle between whether I was going to let it affect me or not.”

Miller won the battle. After struggling early, including walking four in the first two innings, Miller settled down and tossed a no-hitter and the Jaguars defeated the Barons 23-0 in five innings at B-CC. Miller’s no-no was the program’s first since Shannon Fry accomplished the feat in 2001. Miller struggled with control at times, but managed to work her way out of any trouble. She walked five, hit one batter and struck out six. She threw 40 of 78 pitches for strikes and threw a first-pitch strike to eight of 19 batters. Only two Barons reached second base and only one advanced to third. SOURCE: Germantown Patch

No comments: